[AMPS] - New ACOM 2000A owner

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] - New ACOM 2000A owner
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:58:22 -0400
> Thought this might be a nice new topic for the AMPS reflector.

> A transceiver in super linear mode together with a super linear amp will
> create a new problem: your neighboring hams on the next channel will come
> closer to your frequency and splatter over you because they simply do not
> know you are there! You get more QRM!
>
> Another important question: when you crank down your power level: will you
> still have same relation beetween pep and sideband noise/spuriouses as
> when you run your rig with full output power?
>
> 73s de Hans SM5KI

The biggest problem I have with FT-1000's, where I try to run
multiple transmitters on one band, is from Johnson noise in the
EARLY stages of the transmitter and from local oscillator noise
sidebands in the mixers after the narrow transmit filters.

My FT-1000 is ten dB worse than my IC-751A for broadband
oscillator noise, and 50-60 dB worse for transmitter amplifier chain
noise! The oscillator noise is there only while a signal is being
transmitted, but the Johnson noise is there when the rig is keyed
and not transmitting a signal.

Unless they addressed that problem, the rig won't be any real
improvement for close-in same-band operation. That's what I'm
waiting to see.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com