[AMPS] SB1000 parasite question for Tom and Rich

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB1000 parasite question for Tom and Rich
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:03:07 -0700

>measures wrote:
>>
>> With a grid/filament short, there would not be any output.
>
>I'm not sure of the mechanism.  There is certainly part of the grid which
>is not
>touching the filament,

The grid is a welded cage.  There is only one part.

>and the whole structure has a certain amount of
>inductance, allowing for some voltage to appear on it.

Very little.  The grid cage is grounded in three places.
>However, I can say for absolute certain that I observed the plate glowing much
>hotter than normal (with no drive),

With a shorted grid, one has zero volts bias.  This typically doubles
ZSAC.

>and low output in the range described by
>Hans (with drive).  When I removed the tube, I was able to measure a short
>with an ohmmeter.

This is the worst short possible.  The filament helices have welded
themselves to the grid cage.  We have never been able to remove such a
short with our centrifuge.

>When the tube was replaced with a good one the amplifier
>returned
>100% to normal.

cheers, Vic

end