[AMPS] SB1000 parasite question for Tom and Rich+

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB1000 parasite question for Tom and Rich+
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:37:44 +0200
RF design is not such a complicate matter, in theory, what's difficult
is to deal with and to realize objects that doesn't introduce too many
unknown parasitic parameters so modifying, in practice, the original
(or supposed) electrical configuration. The difference between skilled
and non skilled RF designer is mostly in the knowdledge of the above
reality and in the ability to choose a configuration, or a device,
that's not adding uncontrollable complications to the amplifier.
The problem with non professionals when building or dealing with RF
amplifiers (not necessarily power amplifiers) is not "to see" the
presence of inherent parasitic parameters in a circuit or, more
frequently, in the way those amplifiers are then effectively built or
modified by the amateur, a way that often introduces a number of
parasitic parameters and messes everything.
A good device, like a Gaasfet transistor with large gain and stability
at several GHz, has no problem at all to be controlled at much lower
frequencies and risks of self oscillations are virtually absent if also
the external circuit around the Gaasfet has been designed and realized
in a proper way, all the above story do not only apply to solid state
but is also valid for vacuum tube amplifiers.
On the other end, a badly designed tube (more frequently older tubes,
but not only) with a low gain already at 30 MHz can still have enough
gain (at some nearby VHF) to start parasitics when their internal
construction is not the good one to insure stability and the external
ciruit does nothing to fix such type of problems.

73,
Mauri I4JMY