[AMPS] Bargain basement broadband tetrode amp question(s)...dead horse??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bargain basement broadband tetrode amp question(s)...dead horse??
From: wb4mnf@atl.org (Bob Duckworth)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:14:06 +0100
Forgive me if this has been beat to death already...

I have been resurrecting a number of 30's vintage radio receivers lately.
Hallicrafters SX-18, National NC-44 and NC-46, etc.

I notice that they all use a tetrode for audio output stage. 6F6 in the
SX-18.

Circuit is cathode biased, grid driven, and output is by transformer
between the screen and the plate.

Very simple circuit.
One resistor for cathode bias.
Bypass cap for cathode (audio freq, 10mfd or so)
Output transformer.

Is the same circuit good for a broad band RF amp?
Transmission line tranny for output. Perhaps an extra
winding for degenerative feedback.

I'm thinking bargain basement amp here. 813 tube
microwave oven transformer, transmission line wound
on surplus toroids.

-bob