[AMPS] Come Clean

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Come Clean
From: fredfffff@hotmail.com (Fred Fliss)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:31:54 GMT
I say there, "Jeff", come clean with us.  You make comments repeatedly that
suggest your implicit support of illicit CB operations (your former moniker
of "CBer extraordinaire") then you claim to be a ham, yet do not present a
callsign, and the name "Jeff Wolf" does not exist in either the QRZ or the
Buckmaster database as a recognized ham.

Before you throw a fit about my criticalness about who is legitimately
qualified to make technical observations, it has nothing to do with whether
you're a CBer or ham or what not.  I, after all, am not currently a licensed
ham.  What I find objectionable is that you hide behind a curtain of
anonymity.  You prognosticate your opinions without any evidence that you
own (or would have the slightest idea of what to do with) responsible test
equipment, and you clearly are not up to date on the current thinking on the
art (hence your apparent ignorance of the direct correlation between
regulated screens and IMD and the fact that 4CX250B's have a dreadful
reputation for IMD).

Do present yourself openly, and do present some numerical justification for
your claims.  We all know who W8JI is, and we all know what manufacturer he
is connected with, and we can ascertain his biases accordingly.  You,
however, have not exposed who you are, who you are connected with, and even
more recently, have exacerbated the situation by claiming that a
manufacturer that you apparently have some admiration for, was "heavily
influenced by a member of this reflector".  Thus, you have added an
additional layer of anonymity.  What is it you hide from?

For my part, I agree with Tom's premonitions, but acknowledge that I have
never put a "Pride" amplifier on a spectrum analyser.  But I do know that in
my days in the two way radio business, I saw a lot of Pride amplifiers sold
by CB-focused dealers, and Pride amplifiers advertised in trucker magazines
that highlighted CB equipment.  I do not ever recall Pride doing an
advertising campaign in a ham magazine.  Regardless of whether the amplifier
was technically capable of 80-10 metre operation, the company's choice of
where to market the amplifier makes their intentions rather clear, I think.

Who are you and why do you hide?  Ham radio is not like the internet; it is
not a random group of anonymous strangers.  Ham radio is about connecting
more closely and significantly and is no place for those who hide behind
false identifications.  Present your callsign or be dismissed as fluff.

Fred Fliss
ex-G3FLF
Callistoga, Califonia
ISP: Sonic.net