[AMPS] Alpha 76A tube change.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 76A tube change.
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:36:49 -0700

>A reply to all who gave me the input on their upgrades, excellent
>information.  I
>found
>the modification going to the 3CX800A7 tube fairly easy.  Did have a
>problem coming
>up with chimneys for the new tubes.
>
>The amplifier works excellent, and does not require much drive to make
>1500 pep
>output.  The unit is quiet and very stable.
>
>Thanks for all the information. The Alpha is a very fine amplifier, watch
>the grid
>current,
>load a bit heavy and really powerful.

 Alpha uses no speedup circuit for the vacuum-relay.  To avoid
hotswitching with modern radios, a speedup circuit is needed.  See Fig.
7B on my Web site.  The Alpha bias system switches to non-linear bias
during soft syllables.  The electronic bias switch in Fig. 7B does not
have this problem.

later, Ed

end