[AMPS] AL-1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1200
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:15:08 -0400
> Just spent quite a bit of time looking over the past 3 years of
> archives on the AL-1200

I looked at the archives of the muscle car reflector. Mustang GTs
suffer from blown engines, bad spider gears in the rear ends, blown
transmissions, and occasional splits in two when they hit trees.

I'm amazed Ford has never fixed the problems,

> They indicate:
> 1)40/80 RTTY operation at near full power burns up tank circuit
> components

Depends on the blower. For high power RTTY work, a high speed
blower is required. The original blower was downsized in 1988 to
reduce complaints about noise.

> 2)10 meter efficiency is poor with little chance of getting full
> output

That was resolved years ago, around the mid-90's. The problem
was poor grounding of the cathode at the third harmonic of ten
meters. Changing the input cable to the tube deck cleared most of
that up.

> 3)Parasitic oscillation problems haven't been solved

What parasitic problems? Can you tell me how to identify them?

> 4)Noise from fan intolerably loud

Woops. I guess it needs a smaller blower still. Well, there goes the
CW duty cycle!

> 5)WARC bands are a compromise because of tuned input circuitry. One
> has to mistune it to  get both WARC and adjacient non-WARC bands.

Yep, that's true.

> Is this info still valid?  If it is, it says manufacturer's apparently
> never test their products.  I don't understand why anybody would buy this
> unit.

Same with Mustangs. I'm amazed Ford sells any. From looking at
complaint lists, everything is wrong with them!

 > There doesn't appear to be any currently made amp out there that is
> instant on, quiet, stable, WARC band friendly with 1.5CCS output
>
> Brian/K3KO

One reason you can't find an amp that fits you needs, is that the
market doesn't demand one. Another is demands often argue
against themselves.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com