[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 07:42:33 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>>There is undoubtedly no way to build a VHF suppressor that does not have
>>considerable loss at 29MHz.
>
>Another sweeping generalisation!

hardly.  Successful suppressors typically exhibit hellish heat on 10m
RTTY or FM.

>Because a tube with the plate parasitic resonance BELOW the grid parasitic
>resonance doesn't oscillate,

semi-true.  One problem is that the anode-resonance does not stay put
from band to band.

>a plain inductor can clear it up.  If I remember
>correctly, wasn't that what Jon Ogden

(groan)

>found with his 4-1000A?
>
>Of course, that's also 1930's technology - it's described in Terman's 'Radio
>Engineering'.
>
>But it isn't the universal panacea for all parasitic problems.
>
>I suspect this thread will be pretty interesting over the weekend. Pity I
don't
>have e-mail at home, and I'm out Monday.

Indeed.  The kaput 8877s from the AL-1500 that reportedly ate four should
arrive today.  The photos from the autopsies might be of interest.

cheers, Peter

end