[AMPS] 8877 Rejuvination

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 Rejuvination
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:02:27 -0700

>> >Nice try though.
>> > '
>> Eimac says that gold-sputtering is the result of an "oscillation
>> condition".
>> end
>
>Bill Clinton uses similar word games.

Any port in a storm.

>Anyone with decent reading skills reading that letter would note:
>
>1.) It thanks you for sending in the tubes
>
>2.) It says YOU reported the tubes oscillated

The 100-ohm suppressor resistors were virtually burned out during
operation on the 80m band.  Since the suppressor resistors were paralled
with c. 0.09uH,  VHF energy is seemingly indicated.

>3.) It says the grids are damaged

It says the cathode emission was poisoned by gold.

>4.) It says that was "apparently a result of the oscillation condition"
> that YOU reported.

see above

> There is no way for a tube manufacturer, or you, to tell if a grid
> overheated from an oscillation....or excessive drive.

> You have no
>  way of knowing because heat damage is heat damage.

In all cases of gold-sputtering I have seen, most of the gold loss is at
the grounded end of the grid.  //  Where does one find the most current
in a vertical antenna?  My guess is that UHF energy damaged some the
kaput tubes I autopsied.

>3.) It says the grids are damaged

The letter does not say that the grids are damaged.  Adjusting the
content of evidence  will not earn high marks.  The letter says that
loose gold poisoned emission.  The test result that ''looked bad''
presumably was high internal leakage that was caused by loose gold
meltballs.

>4.) It says that was "apparently a result of the oscillation condition"
>that YOU reported.

hardly good reading

>There is no way for a tube manufacturer, or you, to tell if a grid
>overheated from an oscillation....or excessive drive. You have no
>way of knowing because heat damage is heat damage.

When the grid is overheated from HF energy, there should be fairly even
current distribution and uniform loss of gold.  In all of the cases I
have autopsied, most of the gold evaporation occured at the grounded end
of the grid.  My guess is that UHF energy is often involved.
cheers

end