[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:49:06 -0700

>measures wrote:
>>
>>>The correct unedited conclusions are on N7WS's web page.
>>>

>>Who needs conclusions when we have the numbers Wes measured?
>>

>For the benefit of anyone who joined AMPS since the N7WS Incident,
>here's a short run-down.
>
>Wes Stewart, N7WS, tried to help resolve the disagreements about the
>relative virtues of conventional R-L parasitic suppressors and Rich's
>designs using nichrome. He obtained an R-L suppressor from Tom and a
>suppressor from Rich,

?  Not quite.  I supplied Wes with the materials and he constructed a
suppressor that was similiar to the W8JI suppressor.  Both had c. 100nH
and 100-ohms.

> measured the R-X properties of both types on an
>impedance analyser, and published the results.
>
>The AMPS archives show that:
>
>* Wes strongly disagreed with Rich's interpretation of the measurement
>data. To see how Wes himself felt about this, go to his own web page, if
>it's still there - http://www.azstarnet.com/~n7ws
>
>* Rich's own interpretation was based on a total

?  (key word)

>misunderstanding about
>what "Rs" means.

?  I originally designated the suppressor resistor as Rs.  This
apparently confused some people, so now I call it R-supp.

> He had to be taught some pretty basic network theory,
>here on AMPS, before he could interpret the data correctly.

 Wes measured the Q of the two suppressors at various frequencies.   At
100 MHz, the copper-wire (W8JI) suppressor had a Q of 2.2, and the
resistance-wire suppressor had a Q of 1.5.  The difference is 46%.
What's to interpret, Ian.?

> ...but evidently that knowledge didn't stick, ......

 p.27, March, 1989 *QST* Magazine.

cheers, Ian.

end