[AMPS] Modelling and its failures

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Modelling and its failures
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:17:01 -0400
Hi Dave,

> Having spent the day commuting to Raleigh NC from the Boston area, I've
> not canvassed any modeling tool vendors - and thus cannot dispute the
> "none can model solenoid inductors" claim. But you make an important
> point: if a modeling tool allows one to provide models of
> user-defined-devices, then one can home-brew an accurate model of a
> solenoid inductor and model with confidence.

Don't misquote me please. I said none of the programs I've seen
work accurately to represent large inductors, and said I haven't
seen all of them.

> > There is no cure all.  I have encountered amplifiers that required
> parasitic
> > suppressors, and I have encountered amplifiers that were destabilised by
> > same.  I have never encountered an amplifier that a model showed as
> > stable that oscillated.  And every amplifier that I've seen oscillate
> > has been predicted to do so, or be close to doing so, via modelling.
>
> Are you using a commercial modeling program, or rolling your
own?

I barely can use basic. All my own programs are on mathcad or in
basic. The modeling programs I have tried were written by others.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com