[AMPS] Re: K0FF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: K0FF
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:30:10 EDT

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:00:22 -0700 (PDT) michael watts <wy6k@yahoo.com>
writes:

>I'm planning to build an amp using relays for
>bandswitching on both the tank and the input.  I had
>concluded that I would have to fabricate my own
>relays.  But does anyone have any ideas of stock
>relays that might work  - especially in the tank
>circuit.  All the vacuum relays I've looked at are too
>bulky (and not too cheap either).

  I've looked at doing some of that in a 4-400 amp that I'm building.  I
ended up using a rotary tuned input structure (because I was already
doing a number of motor drivers) though I do have some relay swiched
padders for 80 & 160.

  Before I finalized the design, I figured that I could get by with any
220 VAC rated relays for the input circuits.

  I am also switching some padders for the load cap and the 160 Meter Pi
coil with 15A  277 VAC rated relays.  The ones I'm using have wide
contact straps that come right through the bottom.  No thin wires in the
signal path.  They also have a long path across insulating material
between the metal part of the armature and the contacts.  I took the tops
off of several relays during the selection process!  :-)

  I'm confident that the padder switching will be o.k. but, I have a
vacuum relay in reserve for the 160M Pi coil switch... just in case.

  To switch the hi end of the Pi coil, either pricey vacuum relays are
indicated or something long throw; probably homebrew.

>Thanks,
>Mike wy6k

73,
  Marv  WC6W