[AMPS] Drake L7: another question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Drake L7: another question
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:51:08 -0700

>Hello again!
>
>Sorry for my ignorance but I have another question: some of you have
>suggested to put a 10 ohm/10W or larger wattage resistor in series with
>plate supply. I understand the effect it would have in a 'glitch'. But, as
>I am not sure about the tubes in my amp (i.e. are they fine?), suppressing
>the original 0.82 ohm/2W 'fuse' resistor leads me to think I am reducing
>the circuit protection in case of a, let's say, shorted tube.

The 0.82-ohm 2w resistor creates a metal vapour arc as it is blowing up.
A metal vapour arc does not limit current.  The glitch resistor must
survive a glitch intact, without damage.  If one 10-ohm, 10w unit is
damaged by the ''screwdriver test'', replace it with two such resistors
in series.

>Of course, it
>would also destroy the 10 ohm resistor... but would it take longer so will
>damage anything else in the amp or power supply?. What about putting them
>in series?. Best of both worlds ;-)?

A 2w resistor is virtually worthless for glitch protection.

cheers, JOSE

end