[AMPS] Amp using 833A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp using 833A
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:50:25 +0100
Rich says;

>Modern radios shut down with even moderate swr.   My TS-440S begins to
>shut down at an SWR of less than 1.4:1.

Agreed, that can be a problem. It doesn't seem to me that desirable a feature,
(although necessary from a PA  solid state fuse protection point of view)  but I
guess that's why so many rigs build in a tuner. Even worse are those rigs ( the
Atlas 100MX comes to mind) whose PA stages oscillate when faced with certain
values of out of band VSWR.

Does anyone know if the power MOSFET PA stages are less critical on SWR from a
safety point of view?

In the good ole days of tube PA's..............come back the T4-R4 combo!!!

73

Peter G3RZP