[AMPS] amp project: 4-400s X 4

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amp project: 4-400s X 4
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 16:48:00 +0100
Radio WC6W wrote:
>   Here's a modern idea.  Get a surplus 50W switching power supply and
>wind a new output transformer for it.  Update the feedback network and
>viola, a regulated screen source

Nice idea!

>    I've done the trick myself.  I prefer the older low frequency (20
>KHz) supplies and winding the new transformer using a "tape" toroid core.
>   4-400's stay pretty much in positive screen grid current but, you'll
>still need a bleed, either passive or active, just in case.

You'll definitely need a bleed, because the results of the screen
driving current back into a regulated switch-mode supply might be a
little, er, unpredictable.

>  While you are out looking for switchers... pick up a 5V 75A unit and
>run the filaments off it; regulated!  The output transformers in those
>are usually in center tap configuration so, internally it is about an
>11-12 volt CT transformer.  If you tap off on the AC side of the
>rectifiers and run the tubes in series parallel you'll be able to better
>utilize the transformer and reduce the required wire size for the
>filament connection.   A small bleed on the existing 5V output (may
>already be internal to the supply) will be necessary to keep the
>regulator happy.  Then, just adjust the supply for whatever voltage you
>want on the tubes -- there should be sufficient range in the existing
>Vout adjust trimpot.

One problem is that a voltage-regulated supply could cause problems with
current surges at switch-on. Either the supply might try to drive the
maximum possible current into the cold filaments, or it might see the
filaments as a near-short and refuse to start. An electrolytic cap
across one leg of the V_out adjustment divider would probably make the
voltage ramp up gently.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek