Fw: [AMPS] 3CX1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [AMPS] 3CX1200
From: jeff@wa1hco.mv.com (jeff millar)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:51:37 -0400
I had the same problem with my souped up DX-100.  I found some
CBS labs Volumax units, put one in line and problem solved.  It seems
that some sort of audio peak limiting would allow you to keep using the
existing amp.  You didn't say what you're using for a RF driver...and why
does it allow for excessive over modulation?

For the curious, my DX-100 uses a pair of 6DQ5's triode connected
in the modulator.  The suggestion came from HLR to ground the control
grid and drive the screens with high level audio, push pull.  This
effectively
turns them into zero bias high mu triodes.  The driver uses a 70W Dyanaco
mono amp driving a backwards connected output transformer to step 8 ohms
up to about 2K for the screens.  This lineup has unbelievable peak
capability.
Slight pops on the mic resulted in flashovers in the plate tank due to
overvoltage.
The Volumax fixed this and it sure did sound nice.

I wonder if this triode-connected tetrode trick would work for RF linears?

jeff