[AMPS] Tank circuit heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tank circuit heating
From: DF3KV@aol.com (DF3KV@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:47:43 EDT
Hello Peter,

I should think that the previous AM-Transmitter tank-circuits of the 400W
class were far better designed
then todays 2KW amps.

At the beginning of the sixties I started with ham radio
and built my first amp with QB3/300 and 2xEL156 modulator.
I copied the wiresize of the Collins ART-13 and used the
original caps, coilforms and chokes as I was working for
a surplus seller at that time.
There was very little coil heating with that setup.

After a break for more then 10 years I bought a Drake-Twin.
When I took a look into the transmitter I first could not find the tank
circuitry.
Then I recognized that the enameled copperwire coil was
not the RF-choke but the tank coil !

Peter