[AMPS] Nichrome wire resistance?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Nichrome wire resistance?
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:25:22 -0700
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:14:53 -0400, Phil Levin W2GE wrote:

>I was able to get a hold of a 29" long piece of "Nichrome ribbon", I am not
>sure of it's exact alloy make-up, I was just told its Nichrome.  It measures
>3.19 mm (0.126 inches) in width and its .17 mm in thickness (0.005 inches)
>as measured on an electronic digital caliper (new toy I just got, thrilled
>with it, BTW...forgive me for going OT, Tool Nerd here!)  I'm having trouble
>measuring this low of a resistance, does anyone know from a chart what
>resistance I should expect from this wire?  I'm looking for approx .24 ohm.
>(Jeff M. got an answer for me?)  Thanks all.  Phil W2GE

If you don't have a low ohm meter, the next best way to measure its
resistance would be to run a controlled amount of current through it
and measure the resulting voltage drop.  Most recent digital
voltmeters can measure DC down in the millivolts and should do just
fine.  Some alloys can change resistance dramatically depending on
temperature, so measure accordingly.

73, Bill W7TI