[AMPS] Kenwood TL-922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TL-922
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:44:44 -0700
>I am just purchasing a TL-922 and satisfied with the result.
>
>1. As a new owner, I am curious about the Spec, Plus & Minus point of this
>AMP.
>(I bought it without any manual).

I know of no spec.

>2. I noticed that there are some 'arc'  sign to be avoided. Is it for
>specific batch of production or for specific country or what (and why so)?

The Tune-C and bandswitch arcing are caused by a parasitic oscillation at
120MHz.  Better parasitic suppressors are needed.

>3. How do I measure the 'performance' of my TL-922? (Whether it is in Top
>condition or not).

connect to a 50-ohm termination and measure the peak volts with a x100
probe and an oscilloscope.  On SSB, the output should be around 400v
peak.  (1600w) with 130w drive.  Or, you could use a pep wattmeter.

>4. What is the HV, Ig  does tell us? (On related to performace/ safety)

Ig is grid current.  The HV is roughly 3000v.

>5. Is it safe to use CW switch on normal SBB QSO (to conserve engergy /
>low power mode)?

yes.  The imd will be only slightly higher.

>6. I am using the TL-922 for Yaesu FT-847 without ALC connection, is it safe?

Yes.  ALC is bad news.

>7. Is it safe (for my health) to work with this device (approx. within 1
>meter) for a long time (about 3-5 hours) concerning a king of rf radiation?

The antenna radiates, not the 922.

cheers, Reinhard

end