[AMPS] Designing ALL Band Amps!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Designing ALL Band Amps!
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:37:12 -0800
>1. Is it possible to design (technical wise) an AMP that can do HF/VHF/UHF
>in a box (a kind of FT-847 for transceiver).

For HF/VHF, Sure.  Use a tube that is more suitable for VHF.

>What is the penalty

Potential destruction of the vhf suppressors during vhf operation.

>of having
>to design one (size, cost, etc) instead of separate for each band (of
>course we can safe: chassis, Transformer, Tubes, Space and consequently:
>PRICE).
>
>2. Is it possible to modify the TL-922 to be used on VHF & UHF?

One trouble with 3-500Zs is that the grid resonance is c. 80MHz.    A
problem with 6m operation is the destruction of VHF parasitic suppressors
needed for stable HF operation.  (see Figure 24 on my Web site).  The
workaround is to use an 8877 with the vhf suppressor shorted during
operation on 6m.  .

>3. My TL-922 does not have the WARC band. Is it possible to use it on the
>band (or a modification is required). If it is possible, what band should
>I use? (eg: for 17m, do I use 20 m or 15 m).

15m -  use a tuner between the radio and the amp.

>4. I have an offer of Eimac 3-500Z, the shop said it is special Military
>Spec so does not need an Match Pair (all are the same). Is it true? Is
>Military Spec is difference with the regular sold for general public?

quite unlikely, Reinhard.  cheers

end