[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:49:40 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01C04E28.96D0D260

As I begin to add a 240VAC power drop to my radio shack at the new QTH, =
I began to consider cable sizing, connectorization and grounding issues. =
 At my previous home, I used #10/3 CU cabling for a total distance of =
60-feet to my Alpha 77Dx (single tube).  I then terminated the drop into =
a Hubbell 30-amp Twist-Lock receptacle.  I then began thinking about =
various 240VAC distribution possibilities:

1) Some 240VAC circuits employ two phases and a ground, but no neutral.  =

2) Some 240VAC circuits employ two phases and a neutral, but no ground.

3) I have not encountered a "4-pole" circuit which provides for two =
phases, a neutral AND a ground. =20

Although the ground and neutral are tied to a common buss within the =
home's central load center,  why is it that a safety ground is not =
carried out in addition to circuits which employ a neutral?  The neutral =
is allowed to carry AC current, a ground is not.  The ground is present =
only to establish a non-current reference back to the load center.  It =
would seem then that in configuration #2, the chassis of the amp is =
referenced to a current carrying neutral potential, thereby negating the =
safety potential to the chassis as would be provided for by a separate =
ground.  =20

I'm no NEC expert, and perhaps there may exist an electrical contractor =
on this reflector who can better explain the thought process behind =
240VAC distribution in a home.=20

Interestingly, the Alpha amplifiers (and perhaps others) allow for the =
use of either configuration #1 OR #2 as referenced above.  The manual =
takes the owner through steps which change various AC input taps to =
match the wiring distribution. =20

If I were to take a poll, how many of you run your amps with the =
configurations as stated above?  If NEC allows it, have any of you =
successfully tried configuration #3, also assuming there may exist a =
4-pole 240VAC plug/receptacle?

-Paul, W9AC

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01C04E28.96D0D260

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I begin to add a 240VAC power drop =
to=20
my&nbsp;radio shack at the new QTH, I began to consider cable sizing,=20
connectorization and grounding issues.&nbsp; At my previous home, I used =
#10/3=20
CU cabling&nbsp;for a total distance of 60-feet to my Alpha 77Dx (single =

tube).&nbsp; I then terminated the drop into a Hubbell 30-amp=20
Twist-Lock&nbsp;receptacle.&nbsp;&nbsp;I then began thinking about =
various=20
240VAC distribution possibilities:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Some 240VAC circuits&nbsp;employ two =
phases and=20
a ground, but no neutral.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Some 240VAC circuits employ two =
phases and a=20
neutral, but no ground.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) I have not encountered a "4-pole" =
circuit which=20
provides for two phases, a neutral AND a ground.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Although the ground and neutral are =
tied to a=20
common buss within the&nbsp;home's central load center, =
</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>why is it that a safety ground is not carried out =
in addition=20
to circuits which employ a neutral?&nbsp; The neutral is allowed to =
carry AC=20
current, a ground is not.&nbsp; The ground is present only to establish =
a=20
non-current reference back to the load center.&nbsp; It would seem then =
that in=20
configuration #2, the chassis of the amp is referenced to a current=20
carrying&nbsp;neutral potential, thereby negating the safety potential =
to the=20
chassis as would be provided for by&nbsp;a separate ground.&nbsp;  =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm no NEC expert, and perhaps there =
may exist an=20
electrical contractor on this reflector who can better explain the =
thought=20
process behind 240VA</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>C distribution in =
a=20
home.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Interestingly, the Alpha amplifiers =
(and perhaps=20
others) allow for the use of either configuration #1&nbsp;OR #2 as =
referenced=20
above.&nbsp; The manual takes the owner through steps which change =
various AC=20
input taps to match the wiring distribution.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I were to take a poll, how many of =
you run your=20
amps with the configurations as stated above?&nbsp; If NEC allows it, =
have any=20
of you successfully tried configuration #3, also assuming&nbsp;there may =
exist a=20
4-pole 240VAC plug/receptacle?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Paul, W9AC</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01C04E28.96D0D260--