[AMPS] SB220 output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 output
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:04:27 -0500
At 11:30 AM 12/8/01 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:

>> I am considering the purchase of a used SB220. The seller says it
>> produces +/- 700 watts out on all bands. I was surprised at this number,
>> expecting something over 1000 instead. What's reasonable to expect?
>>
>> Bill N7DZ
>
>Why would you expect over 1000 watts output from an amplifier
>that was designed to run 1000 watts input power on CW?
>
>The SB220 will run more than it's design rating, but you are using
>up all the headroom when you do it.

Hang on a sec ...  The SB-220 was rated at 1000W input on CW because that
was the legal limit at that time.  I have run mine in SSB position for 3
years so far, in heavy CW and phone contesting, and it has shown no
problems at from ~950 watts output on 10 to 1250 watts on 80.  I've kept
careful watch on the temperature of the power supply, color of tube anodes,
etc. and everything seems quite comfortable.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at