[AMPS] Thyratron crowbared HT power supplies.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thyratron crowbared HT power supplies.
From: drkirkby@ntlworld.com (David Kirkby)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:35:24 +0000
Has anyone any experience of designing HT power supplies that crowbar in
the event of an arc to protect the tube ? I've an EEV FX2519A hydrogen
thyratron I'd like to use as detailed in fig 2 of
http://www.burle.com/cgi-bin/byteserver.pl/pdf/tp105.pdf

to dump the energy in the event of an internal arc in a YC156 triode.
The stored energy in the power supplies is such that it can potentially
destroy the tube. I have the thyratron so it seems sensible to use it.

I was given some advice by EEV on this back in 1996 when I first thought
of it, but have done nothing since. Can anyone offer any advice ? I'm
slightly less keen to experiment any more than necessary crowbaring a 5
or 6 kV high current power supply.

I was advised by EEV that potentially the capacitive coupling between
the grid and anode the the thyraton could result in it firing when the
triode goes into conduction, but that could probably be stopped by a 500
pF capacitor on the thryaton grid.

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,
email: drkirkby@ntlwold.com (formally davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk)