[AMPS] 6146 splatter help? IFR overload

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 6146 splatter help? IFR overload
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:48:36 -0500
Hi Jim,

> resolution is 30 kHz so it doesn't tell you much of anything of the signal
> except that it's there. Dynamic range is spec'd at the antenna port as -30

Then you can not possibly measure splatter with that unit, unless
you are interested in splatter 60 kHz or more away. To paint a
picture of the signal it must have a selectivity much less than that
of the signals.

> to -100dbm.  There is no scan.  Thumbwheel switches control the PLL's so
> you have to manually flip up and down in 10MHz increments to search.  No
> peak storage.  I'll have to upgrade someday soon, but at least it works
> and nobody touches it but me.

If it does not store peaks, and read the highest peak as it sweeps
many hundreds of times, you won't be able to use it on voice
accurately.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com