[AMPS] Re: Choke Isolation Using Coax Cable

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Choke Isolation Using Coax Cable
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 05:34:50 -0800
>Fred said:
>
> >Probably the chokes you refer to in your 1990 article were not available at
> >that time. However, let me quote from a 1996 ARRL Handbook, page 19.17.
> >

>Rich says:
>
>not a good bet.
>
>Rich says:
>
> >The air core ugly balun would not saturate with 14k.  .  Ferrite cores
>saturate.
>
>Your right about air core baluns -- would not want to use one of those --
>and never have.

You prefer to use a core that can saturate?.

> But  your wrong about the correct choice of ferrite cores
>that don't have the problems you indicate Rich.

This tuner was not intended for QRPP.  Not saturating with large suds was
an important issue for the balun.

>My position is that coax baluns are the poorest solution.

A saturation-proof, low-cost, non-resonant, non-incendiary balun is a
"poor solution" ?

>And I know that
>from experience and analysis plus measurements.
>
>What did you use for measurements? You forgot to answer that question.

I deliberately did not answer that question because I smelt red herring.

cheers, Fred

end