[AMPS] Solid State T/R Relay Problems.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State T/R Relay Problems.
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:18:43 -0800
-
:From: "Jeff Wolf" <da_kang@hotmail.com>
:The RC network going from base to collector is present
:in nearly every solid state amp, and also serves twofold
:purpose.  One, is to maintain stability
-
Not true, they may be present in a lot of amplifiers, but
not most of them. Your still living in the HF world where
broad band CB amps are common and mass produced.
-
:(just because your amp has it doesn't mean it is an unstable
:design to start with, it is considered good engineering
:practice), and also gives a flatness to the gain across the
:band(s) the amp was designed for.
-
Not always true. It's common to see feedback networks (RC
type) in many ss HF amplifiers. Doesn't automaticly mean
"it's there for flatness" which is a common CB amplifier non
technical term.  You have to look at a specific circuit, mode,
desired bandwidth and application to know what any network
is really there to do. The motorola rf transistor data and
applicaitons manual is a gold mine of information about
the use of feedback in ss circuits. Copies can be easily
found on Ebay.
-
:Before doing anything, I would run the amp into a non-inductive 50 ohm
load.
:I would venture to guess at this point that your amp is fine, and you
will
:see a load or feedline problem.  Those are the most common problems I
have
:found on solid state PA problems you describe...  Either with a 1
transistor
:amp, all the way up to a 128 device 2SC2879 amp.
:Hope this helps.
:Toll_Free
-
I WOULD NOT venture to guess at this point that his amp is fine. It
needs to be checked and probably realigned under proper
bench conditions first.  Else, it's got a problem that needs to be
dealt with.
-
skipp
nospam4me@juno.com