[AMPS] Clarification : Using Half the secondary in a plate xfmr

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Clarification : Using Half the secondary in a plate xfmr
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:19:01 EST

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:36:49 -0500 Douglas Snowden
<Douglas.R.Snowden@noaa.gov> writes:

>I guess I didn't 'splain why I wanted to
>do this:  It looks like part of the secondary
>is open and I still have the CT and one side available.
>

>Quick question:
>I have a 2600 - 0 - 2600 transformer. I
>am planning on using half of the secondary
>in a fullwave bridge configuration.  Won't
>I still get the full current rating of the
>secondary in using just half of the secondary?
>I want something like 3kv - 3.5kv output from
>the p.s.
>

>Doug N4IJ
>
>I guess I didn't 'splain why I wanted to
>do this:  It looks like part of the secondary
>is open and I still have the CT and one side available.

Hi Doug,
   A (typical) transformer will provide its full rated power from 1/2 the
secondary winding with the caveat that you'll be exceeding the designed
current capacity for that portion of the winding -- i.e. it is going to
run a bit hotter.

   This will work fine (most of the time) in the real world though, in
this instance I'd have a bit of a QA worry since 1/2 of this unit has
already failed.

   Do you know why that failure occurred?  Or is that the reason you
happened to come by it!  :-)

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*