[AMPS] tube brand question summary...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tube brand question summary...
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ron D. Rossi)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:59:45 -0500
Folks,

Here is a summary of the collective wisdom of the group comparing Taylor,
Svetlana and Cetron 572Bs so far.

Cetron = 1, long lived
Svetlana = 3, but use caution and mod the amp
Taylor = 1, good warranty/price

My emotions say "go for every last watt and buy the Svets". My mind says "buy
the Taylors". I need to calm my emotions!

I have paraphrased the comments I received:

"CT HRD" <tony@uch.net>: S V E T L A N A

"Noel Willis @ Access IT" <AccessIT@Bigpond.net.au>: Use caution with the
Svetlanas since they have higher gain and require a more negative bias than
other 572Bs to bias off.

"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>: Use a good glitch resistor and protect the
meters with negative rail clamping. Voltage breakdown failures are common with
the Svets.

"Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>: Experience with Cetron says they work
great and for a long time.

"Pat Poirier" <hkman@hitter.net>: I would stay away from the Svetlana 572B
tubes, they have had a lot of problems being gassy and everyone wants a lot of
money for them. Go with the Taylors and the one year warranty from RF Parts.

--
73 es God Bless de KK1L...ron (kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont