[AMPS] Additional Tube Brand Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Additional Tube Brand Question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 07:56:52 -0500
Hi Mike,

> Do you know what the resting Ep rating was for the stock L-4B? My L-7
> run around 2500V, and I am wondering how much higher I can run that
> before I start having to change tank components and the like. IOW,
> when you substituted the HB supply, how much if any did you raise the
> plate voltage?

You can not raise the HV too much before getting into trouble.
Using a similar (same brand and model but with optimal contact
arrangements) switch in failure tests, just under 3kV was the limit
for normal mistuning (loading fully meshed on 20 meters, 100 watts
drive). At about that dc *NO LOAD* voltage, the switch became
unreliable.

At 2800 volts or higher, I'd consider adding an intentional spark gap
across the input of the tank.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com