[AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:38:47 -0500
> I had exactly the same problem with my Alpha 87 driven by an FT-1000D.
>  The problem was not the amplifier - it was a fault in the wiring to
> the "tx-gnd" phono jack on the back of the FT-1000. Fortunately, at
> least in my case, the problem was NOT in the FT-1000 tx-gnd relay,
> which would have been a pig to replace.

This makes me wonder.

My FT1000D has dropped the switch lead a three times now, and
while it was on the way out it did something similar to what Mike
described except on many occasions it would NEVER close the
amp relay.

The first time I just barely touched the relay switch near the jack
and it cured the problem. The second time (about a year later) I
resoldered the connections on the switch, and it was OK for a
week.

The third time I cleaned the switch contacts, and it has been OK
for almost a year now.

I wonder if the switches aren't the problem, since mine would
straighten out just by touching it or anything around it??
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com