[AMPS] SB-220 Amplifiers and Garage Sales!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 Amplifiers and Garage Sales!!
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 06:18:25 -0800

>> >Something puzzles me here. If the suppressor provided the whole plate
>> >load impedance at the parasitic frequency, then the gain would be
>> >reduced by
>> only
>> >4.3dB by lowering the parallel resistance from 160 to 101 ohms. This
>> >may be enough to just stop the parasitic, but doesn't appear to my
>> >mind to give
>> enough
>> >margin to ensure stability.

?  is no parasitic not good enough?

>> Is it quite that simple? The suppressor is part of a *series* circuit
>> from the anode through the blocking cap, connecting wires and tune cap
>> so Rs is the number that counts. In a typical layout, the connecting
>> leads swamp the Ls (and therefore Lp) of the suppressor.
>>
>> Steve
>
>That's right Steve, neither Rich nor Peter are looking at the problem
>correctly.
>
>The effect of the rest of the system is such  that LOWER Rp
>increases system Q.

... not according to Wes' measurements ...

>It does not guarantee a reduction in gain at all.

Less Rp =s less gain.  Tom has still not explained why the AL-1500, 8877
amplifier has no parasitic suppressor what-so-ever - even though every
other 8877 amplifier manufacturer (Alpha/Henry/Dentron)used one.  // see
Figure 24 on my Web site//

>The lowest Rp suppressor is no suppressor at all and zero Xp.

?  not according to Wes.

>The
>best suppressor has the highest Rp and infinite Xp.

?  What is "Xp"?

>Measures suppressor, if it has lower Rp, is actually closer to NOT
>having a suppressor at all! It will INCREASE VHF Q over a higher
>Rp suppressor.

?  In the Rauchian World, more VHF resistance increases VHF Q?

end