[AMPS] SB220 & 4-400s

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 & 4-400s
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:22:48 -0700

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:45:40 +0100 "John Tait" <bravo@iol.ie> writes:

>All Hail...!!  Oh Enlightened ones...!!
>
>    A friend of mine has an old SB220... The 3-500s have departed for
>Valhalla, but we have a number of 4-400As...(allegedly) good pulls.
>  If we use the 4-400s instead of 3-500s (both grids grounded), what, if
>any, circuit changes should be made to cope with the new scenario???
>  Any suggestions gratefully received..
>         73 to all
>              de
>             John EI7BA    http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/

Hi John,
   This is from long ago memory...

   First, I recall you have to wire the grid pins together (2,3 & 4) on
the bottom of the sockets as only one of them has a DC return in a stock
SB-220.

   And then, add a jumper across the 5 volt zener in the cathode circuit
to run the 4-400A's in true zero bias.

   The plate impedance of the 4-400A's will be a skosh higher than the
3-500's but, there should be sufficient latitude in the output stage to
accommodate this.

   The input impedance of the 4-400A's will also be a bit higher and the
input network(s) should be re-adjusted for best match.

   The converted unit will exhibit a bit less gain, i.e. require more
drive for a given output, but should run just fine otherwise.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!