[AMPS] variacs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] variacs
From: ku7i@hotmail.com (Lane Zeitler)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:41:37 -0700
I have a HB B+ supply that uses a variac on only one side of the 240 vac. It
is a 115 volt unit rated at 18 amps. Works great. With the variac in line I
only drop 100 volts more than w/o. The dc filter network is a copy of the
Henry 2K, 3K, et. and is a resonant choke with 32uF of cap after it. I tried
a 240 vac 10 amp like the one used in the ARRL Handbook but it was dropping
an additional 250 volts. Since it has step-start and I do not need to go
below 2500vdc I decided to go with the 18amp unit on just one side of the
primary and it improved regulation quite a bit. I like the freedom the
variac gives me.

Lane
Ku7i