[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:23:58 -0400
Hi Arne,

If you visit Peter Dahl's website you'll see the supply frequency for some
of his units listed as 50/60 Hz.  This indcates that there is enough iron
in the core to run at 50 Hz, which automatically means there's plenty of
iron for 60 Hz too.

All your friend needs to do is to specify 50 Hz operation and the
transformer will be built accordingly.

For those that hadn't thought about it before, the reduction in transformer
iron with increasing supply frequency is why so much military electronic
equipment was built for 400 Hz or 1000 Hz supply frequency operation :
enormous reduction in weight and size of magnetically operated components
for aircraft and mobile service.  This goes for the generator in aircraft
service as well as transformers, chokes, etc.  This is also the reason that
switch mode power supplies typically weigh much less and are much smaller
than their linear cousins : a 500 VA power transformer running at say 10
Khz is just a fraction of the size and weight of a 500 VA transformer
designed for 60 Hz.

Phil