[AMPS] Vacuum Variable voltage rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vacuum Variable voltage rating
From: kimba@sprint.ca (Bert Barry)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:16:22 -0400
W0UN--Signal Hill Ranch wrote:

> The leaks I have seen (maybe a dozen out of the 100+ vacuum
> caps I own) have all been due to failures in the bellows as far as
> I can tell.  Don't know if it is harder on the bellows to store them
> at minimum capacitance (maximum compression of the bellows)
> or not--but I always store mine at maximum capacitance (minimum
> compression).

Interesting point, since I suppose vacuum caps are of ten stored for years.
Have
you ever checked if Jennings recommends one or the other?

> My sample is not that big--but all of mine have been either good or
> grossly bad, I just haven't seen any with a little bit of a leak--but
> guess it could happen.
>
> I recall a UV test setup (for an OSO satellite in the mid-60s) that
> consisted of a vacuum chamber with a HOLE in it to allow UV
> light to enter.  With a big vacuum pump followed by an oil
> diffusion pump and then a titanium sublimation pump we were
> able to keep a pretty hard vacuum in the chamber even with
> the UV hole in it.

Interesting.  I have encountered the same situation; a vacuum specimen chamber
on
the business end of a van de Graaf accelerator with a hole in it to allow a
beam of
low energy electrons to exit with minimum energy dispersion.  This was pumped
with a
backed-up turbomolecular pump, and it worked.  Maybe not applicable to vacuum
variables though.

Bert,  VE3QAA