[AMPS] blowers at lower voltages

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] blowers at lower voltages
From: e.briggs@snet.net (Ed Briggs)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:06:30 -0400
This is a little odd for an AC motor. Typically these motors are synchronous
motors whose speed of rotation is controlled by the frequency of the voltage
source (ie 60Hz). The difference between the actual rotational speed and the
synchronous speed is called the 'slip' of the motor and this increases under
load.   Reducing the impressed voltage  will increase the slip
proportionally to the square of the voltage, and will reduce the breakdown
torque of the motor.  At the same time, current will increase causing
heating of the windings (i squared r).  Not much change in rotational speed
can be safely made using this technique.  For these reasons, it is not often
recommended.  (Forgive me if this a a DC motor - it wasn't completely clear
from your note)

Ed