[AMPS] 4-400 replacement

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-400 replacement
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:45:32 -0600
Rich and others:

>  >Penta Laboratories is still in business.
>
>Penta was sold to Raytheon many years ago.?
>
>The name ''Penta'' is currently used on some tubes that are made by
>foreign companies.

Yes, The present Penta Laboratories is based in Chatsworth, CA. They
issue a newsletter for NAB each year as a sort of advertising thing.
The website is www.pentalabs.com. You can read the "presidents
message" yourself as for what is claimed. They appear to distribute
"off-shore" manufactured glass and ceramic metal tubes - meaning not
manufactured inside the United States at least.

As for the ceramic metal tetrode, the cooling fins are copper flaps
without the outer band that Eimac and RCA had. Similar to Machlett
6425F some other old triodes. In the newsletter Penta writes that
subsequent developments will include a ceramic 3-500Z AND 4-1000A.

I take no claims to having used their devices, only passing
information I saw yesterday. With a lack of glass 3-500Zs made by
Triton, and Svetlana dropping their 3-600Z, its interesting to see
who picks up what.

John
K5PRO