[AMPS] More MLA2500 conversion questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More MLA2500 conversion questions
From: w2imf@worldnet.att.net (Stephen Goldberg)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:15:38 -0400
Doug,

See April 1976 CQ magazine page 31 "A Simple Kilowatt (Idea)" by Bob Baird
W7CSD.

He used a 60 watt light bulb in place of the non-inductive resistor and
explains why it works even though the resistance changes as the bulb lights
up with the following reasoning in his exact words:

"At the time the bulb is brightest the load is the lightest (high
resistance) but the amplifier input is in parallel with this and it is
calling for more power.  It is kind of self compensating."

He indicates that scope picture of amp output exactly duplicates driver
alone.

I never tried it but it sure sounds good if it works.

Steve W4IMF