[AMPS] Alpha 86 pin diode upgrade

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 86 pin diode upgrade
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:54:33 -0400
> Mine just went out in one of my 86's - also looking for info.
>
> Bob, AK6R

The original diode was an exceptional diode. Long carrier lifetime
with high voltage rating....yet cheap. Ameritron used to use them
also, but I used two diodes cathode-to-cathode in series...with 400
volts of bias.

Since the original diode is no longer available, the circuit was
modified to use four lower voltage diodes in series.

If you pick a diode, pick one with the longest possible carrier
lifetime. You need at least 3 or 4 uS for 160 meters. Using multiple
diodes in series (or opposing directions in parallel for transmitting
diodes) is better than single diodes for many reasons.

I'd have a look at the Ameritron circuit and see if it can be adapted
into your ETO circuitry.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com