[AMPS] re: Dayton and Emtron

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: Dayton and Emtron
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:42:26 -0700
[snip]
: From: "vk4sx" <vk4sx@dingoblue.net.au>
: any comments from the Dayton visitors in rgds the
: new range of EMTRON amps?      rgds Dennis
-
-
Hi Dennis and the group,
-
I actually took a camera full of pictures of the different amplifier
mfgr's products and display booths.  I used the "analog method"
so it will be a few days before the pics are available for amps
member viewing.
-
Emtron was one of the mfgrs I spent a bit of time looking
at.  Significant items of interest were the models with the
4CX1600 tube which the rep mentioned would be phased
out as the tube is getting rather hard to obtain in long term
stable amounts.  Not the first or only person I've heard
that from...
-
They also had other nice looking amplifier models with the ever
present  Eimac 3cx800a7 tube(s) on board.    The current "major
valve" of choice seems to be the Eimac 3cx800a7, used by most
mfgrs as the most popular amplifier work horse tube.  The
3-500z is no longer in the "sweet spot" although Ten Tec and
Ameritron had glass valve circuits on Display.
-
It might be more practical to just mention some of the things that
I noticed right away about the Emtron.
-
Some of the power supplies of the models I could inspect
(covers off) had series banks of 85c filter caps. But potential
trouble might not be too far off.
The radial lead capacitors are mounted horizontal and the
"top" of the individual capacitors are very near the side bare
chassis.   I mean real close with no insulation other than the
actual cap factory shrink skin.
The cap to chassis distance appeared less than 1/2 inch...
and at 3kv plus potentials, that would worry me a great deal.
There was no obvious side mounted insulator between the
capacitor bank (cap tops) and the bare chassis.
-
The capacitors were also mounted right next to each other.
Cap cooling is something less than desired. In my opinion,
an issue that should be looked at.  Although I wasn't able
to check the values, the capacitor bank looked "rather light
duty" for the power supply level so these close spaced caps
will get at least very warm with significant ripple current.
-
The plate blocking caps appeared to be low current "disc
style" units.  In my recent (less than a year ago) tests I've
found these units don't handle high power (current) as well
is I had hoped and quickly get hot and fail/change value
in key down (continuos) conditions.
For SSB and other low duty cycle operation, they
will probably "hold up."
-
Most all the amplifier models I saw had healthy pi-tank
circuits, caps and coils although everyone pretty much
is still using air variables.
-
The rep spent a lot of time talking about the hefty power
transformers.  The physical layout was traditional and
the cosmetics pretty good.  Your results may vary...
-
cheers
skipp
-