[AMPS] Sucking instead of Blowing (was - This guy is gotta be kidding!)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Sucking instead of Blowing (was - This guy is gotta be kidding!)
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 04:52:40 -0700

>Hi Chris,
>
>You are quite correct. I took a closer look at my L-7 last night, and
>indeed the fan
>is sucking air out rather than blowing it in. When I first looked at it, I
>guess I just assumed the air was moving the other way. Also, it looks like
the only
>openings in the L-7 chassis, are the fan outlet on the back and the air inlet
on the
>bottom under the tube sockets. So indeed, the L-7 chassis is pressurized
(negative
>gauge pressure in this case), whereas the chassis on the SB-220, if memory
serves
>correct, is not (I
>believe the case on the Heath is made with perforated sheet metal).
>
>Still seems like the L-4B air system would be more effective with the
>glass chimneys and the blower, but I can't say for sure as I have never done
any of the
>calculations.

? Measurement of surface temperature with an IR thermometer is simpler
than esoteric calculations that depend on fairly sophisticated
measurements.  I trust hands-on measurements more than I trust
calculations because I have attended VHF antenna gain contests where the
calculated gain and the measured gain were rather different.  //  The
simplist estimation of surface temperature is the tube's marking ink.
Red or green ink turns toast brown at high temperature.  In a typical
SB-220 (blowing fan) or TL-922 (sucking fan), the marking ink on the
3-500Zs is still in 'mint' condition after even a decade of use. However,
in amplifiers which use an 'air-system' socket and a centrifugal blower,
the marking ink typically turns brown after a few months of use.    At
even higher temperatures, the toasted ink begins to disappear.

cheers, Mike.

>Another exercise for the student (me) I guess.

>is made with ----- Original Message -----

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end