[AMPS] PA-77 musings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA-77 musings
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 06:55:19 -0700

?  JIM

>..
>>? RF-switching shifts to non-linear bias during soft syllables.  The
>>amplifier's T/R bias  should always be in sync with the T/R state in the
>>transceiver.
>
>Agreed.  I'm tempted to rebuild the original board just to be
>able to look at it with the spectrum analyzer, but it probably
>isn't worth the trouble.

?  agreed.   The feculence that is generated by RF bias switching is hard
to see on a typical spectrum analyzer due to lack of skirt selectivity.
A double-filter SSB receiver works quite well in this application.

?  182mA@3500v.

>>? The high-speed switching circuit shown in Fig, 7B on my web site
>>switches in under 2mS and it supplies adjustable bias for g-g operation.
>>It switches so fast that sequencing is obviated.
>
>I took a look, thanks.  I don't know what flavor the existing
>output vacuum relay is, but the printing on it is "TCR1G N/O 7404" .
>It doesn't look like a Jennings, but I've made larger mistakes.
>Anyway, your bias switch design looks fine, and would fit on a
>board the size of the existing one.  Even 18 or so 3A diodes,
>(tapped down) although I've heard stories of temperature
>instability going that route?  (A question, not a challenge.
>Haven't done it that way before)

?  I have not observed this problem nor heard of any such complaint.
Henry Radio uses fwd-biased diodes to set the oper. bias in many of its
amplifiers.

>>..
>>?  mo' complicated is not always mo' betta.
>.
>>? chips and RF don't get along all that well.
>
>True enuf.  Using a packaged uC module, the total parts count
>wouldn't have to be much higher, but it would have to be well
>shielded and bypassed.  I'll consider both routes thoroughly
>before taking one.

good luck, Jim

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end