Fwd: [AMPS] RMS Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [AMPS] RMS Power
From: Wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu (William Fuqua)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:49:27 -0400
--=====================_2213407==_.ALT

         There is no mathematical notation for "RMS POWER".
If you calculate voltage from average power and load resistance you get RMS
volts.
Like wise if you calculate current from average power you get RMS amps.
         Look at the definition of RMS voltage or current. Put it into the
equation for
Power.  What you get is the formula for Average Power!!!!!
This RMS power stuff started in the 60's with the stereo equipment
manufacturers.
They invented  "RMS Music Power".  This is equivalent to  PEP, low% duty
cycle power.
It allowed them to come up with large wattage ratings for short burst of
audio. This was necessary
due to the fact that their equipment had weak power supplies and low power
dissipation capability.

RMS power is a meaningless term.

73
Bill wa4lav