[AMPS] AL-811H and PEP Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-811H and PEP Question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:46:04 -0400
> Lastly, I have the MFJ-986 3kw tuner.  It has a
> wattmeter but the manual says that on SSB and using
> the "peak" setting the meter will read only about 70%
> of the actual PEP.  On SSB it reads about 600 Watts on
> the "peak" setting - which with the 70% formula that
> would be 800 or more.  Any experience with this?  I
> may need to get an accurate PEP active circuit meter.
> This one built into the 986 has no outside power
> source and the "Peak" setting seems to have only a
> minor 'holding' effect with some capacitors.

Later MFJ antenna tuners have a place on the metering board to
add a single transistor and a couple other components that will
make the peak reading function work almost perfectly. It will read
within a few percent of true peak power with the emitter follower
added.

I have  no idea why MFJ leaves those parts out..unless they figure
people wouldn't want to install a battery or $0.80 increase in cost
will stop sales.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com