[AMPS] Making tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Making tubes
From: goblefam@swbell.net (Paul Goble)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:40:09 -0700

"Fun to think about", Roger!  It has also opened the door for
some pretty good humor; "Fire up the linear", for example, HI!

I, too, have a problem with the high cost of power tubes, and
this is why I started gathering information on the "surplus"
Russian transmitting tubes.  As examples (and I'm NOT selling
tubes - merely telling you what I pay for 'em delivered to San
Antonio, TX!), NOS 4CX800's (GU-74B) for $70 each delivered,
NOS 1500W plate dissipation "coaxial" triodes (GS-35B) good to
1000MHz for $100 each delivered, NOS 4CX1600 "equivalent" (GS-23B)
for $160 delivered, NOS 350W dissipation triodes (GI-7B) good
for multi-tube PAs through 70cm (2 tubes, >800W output) for $30
each delivered.  If you're paying more, you're paying too much!
 AND there are other types of tubes, too, like a 200W dissipation
tetrode (GS-15) tested at 280W (thermally stable!!!) output on
23cm (formal design under development), NOS for $25-30 delivered!!

Data on PAs using most of these tubes (and some others) can be
found at http://www.nd2x.net/ (select "QRO").  Some PAs only
have pictures, a few PAs are built for sale, and there are several
PAs which could be built from the information provided by HAMs
from around the world.

Now, if I only had time to build them all myself - HI!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>Date: 7/5/01 2:39:57 PM

>> homebrew project to actually make the tube from scratch?
I know that it