[AMPS] Kenwood ts2000 driving a G2DAF amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood ts2000 driving a G2DAF amp
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 07:23:20 -0500
on 8/6/01 2:11 AM, Peter Chadwick at Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com wrote:

> Tom, you're not trying to tell us that DSP is not the be-all and end-all, best
> thing since sliced bread, guaranteed snake oil cure for fogs, high wind and
> indigestion, helps babies while teething, that people would have us believe,
> are
> you? Shame on you! Go wash your mouth out! You're a heretic.

Heh! Heh!

A friend of mine who I used to work with, K9PPW, used to joke about the idea
for a radio that was entirely software.  Just had one big chip.  That's it.
Everything, including amplification was taken care of in DSP.

Scary thing is there are people that really, seriously think this way.

> If it's digital, it's got to be good. Everybody says so.

Reminds me of the time in college during my second level circuit class.  The
professor had decided to skip some sections in the text that discussed some
analog op-amp circuits.  I made a comment half out loud that basically said,
"I want to learn about analog circuits."  The guy in front of me turned
around, looked at me and said, "Why would you want to learn analog?"  I
couldn't believe it.

I wonder if this bit head is now working some place on high speed digital
circuits and kicking himself for failing to take the RF transmission line
class!

> Having said which, I find the external DSP audio box has its uses, especially
> with noise reduction on SSB. A good back up to decent crystal filters.

They are nice.  I find though that even my stock Yaesu filters on my
FT-1000D sound better than the digital filtering on my Timewave DSP-599zx.
I just don't like the hollow sound of it.  I used the DSP box a lot with my
FT-840 before I bought the 1000D.  Now I rarely use it for SSB.  For digital
modes it is totally awesome.  I can pick out a RTTY signal and get good copy
with the DSP that w/o it is basically in the mud and you can barely hear.

One scary trend though is that in some radios like the FT-847, the DSP
filters have basically replaced good IF filters.  The DSP filters in that
radio are really not that great.

Oh yeah, one of the best applications for the DSP filters is adaptive
notching.  You can't beat them for that.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden