[AMPS] Collins 204H-1/GRT-12 HF Amp (2x4CX1000 2-30 MHz)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Collins 204H-1/GRT-12 HF Amp (2x4CX1000 2-30 MHz)
From: w7gj@bigskyspaces.com (Lance Collister)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:20:07 -0600
Steve Hajducek wrote:

> [...]
> >picked up by somebody in the Pacific Northwest.  It is approximately 22"W
> >x 22"D x
> >5.5' high and weighs a few hundred pounds.  It does no longer have the
> >auto tuning
> >circuitry in it.  It does not currently work, but I am fairly confident it
> >only
> >requires a simple repair to restore either the bias or screen voltage.  A
> >loose
> >screw fell down into the circuitry years ago and I haven't had the time,
> >interest or
> >need to repair it.  I have a couple of manuals for it that come pretty
> >close to
> >matching this unit's circuitry (although the part humbers referenced seem
> >to be
> >different).
> >
> >Just prior to its failure, I removed the driver stages from it and
> >installed a 50
> >ohm load across the grids, so it could be driven directly with a 100w
> >transceiver
> >without all the various attenuation pads that were previously
> >required.  It worked
> >GREAT in this mode (until the missed loose part fell into the works -
> >HI!).  (B+
> >supply is still all OK).
> >
> >Needless to say, the amp runs plenty of power!  It was manufactured by
> >"Republic
> >Electronic Industries", obviously subcontracting under Collins.  It has an HN
> >connector for output, and a built-in wattmeter.  Of course, I have never
> >actually
> >put such a signal out on the air (!), but I have seen it very easily go up
> >to 4 kw
> >PEP output.  It has no loading control, so requires either a really huge
> >antenna
> >tuner or needs to be run into resonant antennas (which is what I did here,
> >on 75m,
> >40m, and 20m). It runs anywhere between 2 and 30 MHz.  I think with the
> >addition of
> >another mylar capacitor in the lowest bandswitch position, you could get
> >it to go
> >down to 160 meters, which is where I really wanted to use it if I keep it.
> >
> >I also have a couple of spare 4CX1000A's I will include along with the
> >amp, since I
> >don't need them for anything else.  I am asking $2000 for the amp
> >AS-IS.  If I have
> >time to get it throwing flames again, it should be worth much more than
> >that.  I
> >would appreciate hearing from anyone in the Pacific Northwest seriously
> >interested.
> >MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance
> >
> >--
> >Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
> >P.O. Box 73
> >Frenchtown, MT  59834  USA
> >QTH: DN27UB
> >TEL: (406) 626-5728   FAX:(406) 728-6320

Hi Steve,

Yup...those are the exact dimensions alright! It runs off 240 VAC single phase,
and
I installed a little power supply and relay driver circuity so that grounding a
wire
switches the amp into XMIT mode and also applies 28 VDC to the external antenna
relays.

I think the weight now may be a bit less than 600 poungs, though, since it no
longer
has the auto tuning module (has to be tuned manually) and I did remove the
driver RF
deck (which reduced the weight a little bit, anyway).  But it still is a pretty
heavy duty brute! I sit mine here on a little plywood platform with casters on
it.

Please let me know if you run across any HFers in the Pacific Northwest who
might be
interested ;-)  Won't run 14 kw on 160m, but then again, you CAN afford to pay
the
electric bill for the filaments on THIS amp ;-)  Should be able to stick in a
pair
of 4CX1500's I suppose if you really wanted to melt coax.  TNX and VY 73, Lance