[AMPS] amazing doubletalk...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amazing doubletalk...
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:54:49 -0600
I am amazed at the lack of  thought (I mean science) behind
statements which frequently are repeated here. In the past years,
this has been discussed and validated on this forum, and in
professional RF power practice its not even a question to
regurgitate, and yet, here it is again.

As a professional involved in RF amplifier designs, I completely
support and agree with Ian White's reply and references listed at the
bottom of this note, and have also presented physical evidence in the
way of photographs of the insides of tubes which have arced (2 weeks
ago here). They were not due to parasitics. Energy is energy. Whether
we have 3kV with 80 uF or 30 kV with 80 uF of capacitance. I pointed
out that in the latter case, one MUST use an active shunt crowbar
device in addition to series resistance. In ham sized tubes, series
resistance alone may work. But the cause of an unexplained discharge
within the envelope of a vacuum tube is NOT always because of an
undesirable oscillation. Gas pressures inside a tube may change from
effects from high voltage conditioning, changing RF level, DC
current, load VSWR. We should ask other EE's and RF practicioners who
design amplifiers to speak here; unfortunately, most  will shun the
unprofessional approach of the 'scientific' method as practiced on
many internet discussions and won't bother.

I have attempted to give my own experiences to this forum. I
certainly haven't built as many amateur amplifiers as many here. Or
troubleshooted them. It is extremely frustrating to read people
preaching stuff which they believe in like religious zealots. We have
enough of them in the news in the USA right now.

On 8/30, Richard Measures <2> responded this way:
JL  first stated:
"I recommend that hams consider other methodologies which can cause
arcs besides an 'all inclusive' parasitic theory....

  <2> replied to this:
"// The all inclusive parasitic theory originated with ....."

JL stated:
"in industry we don't subscribe to that theory."

<2> replied:
"//nor do I"

OK,  we finally hear that there are other possibilities in mind?
73
John
K5PRO

<2> (Richard Measures) wrote:

>  >//  Please name and explain some other causes of potentially fatal
>>current surges, Mr. White.

Ian White replied: