[AMPS] transformer oil

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] transformer oil
From: wb8jkr@juno.com (wb8jkr@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 05:16:04 -0400
  For what its worth, I did some research in this area
about 10 years ago while building a large oil filled
capacitor for a Tesla coil project. I found out that
Texaco repackages "transformer oil" and sells it as
"Turbine oil" its called Texaco R/O #46 and at that
time it was about $20.00 for 5 gallons.

73,  Mark WB8JKR

Novice 3/71, General 8/72, Advanced 6/80, Extra 8/88
Member Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers
Member ARRL, DXCC, WAC, WAS, VUCC 2 meters, GJDXCC, OTC, RCC, QCWA

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:32:06 -0700 "Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com> writes:
> Ken,
>
> You can buy transformer oil from Ameritron or MFJ for $24.95/Gallon.
> Transformer
> oil has better thermal properties than mineral oil and thus will
> give better power
> handling than with mineral oil (MFJ gives derating curves for their
> dummy load
> using both transformer oil and mineral oil). Per the MFJ-250 manual,
> motor oil is
> not recommended for use in dummy loads due to its low vaporization
> temperature.
>
> By the way, if you find a lower priced source for transformer oil,
> let me know,
> I need a couple more gallons for an upcoming project
>
> 73 de Mike, W4EF..........

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.