[AMPS] Special power-up on old unused AL-1200?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Special power-up on old unused AL-1200?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:26:48 -0400
> My 14 year old AL-1200 (w/internal QSK, bought new from Ameritron back
> then) has not been powered up for 6-8 years. I was about to power it
> up to get it working with my new IC-756PRO and it occurred to me that
> perhaps I need to take special care starting up the PS caps. I have a
> variac somewhere if I need to charge up slow but would rather not fool
> with any special precautions unless there is reason to.

Whatever you do, DON'T start it through a variac and wind it up
slowly unless you defeat the step-start system!!!!

While you can most likely just power it up (the capacitors have 550
volt foil and will handle extra leakage just fine for a while), if you
want to be more comfortable you could disconnect the primarys
and run one primary up slowly with a 120v variac.

I think a bigger worry is the tube. I'd run the blower and the filament
of the tube for three or four hours at full voltage before applying high
voltage. You can do that with the primary of the HV transformer
disconnected.

Be careful messing with HV.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com